September 6, 2016


The 1904 World’s Fair Society has monthly meetings with programs on various topics relating to the Fair.

It has always been a tradition of the organization to have a meeting on April 30th to celebrate “opening day”, (the day the fair opened, April 30th,1904), and to have a “closing day” banquet on December 1st (the day the fair closed, December 1st 1904) .

Most meetings have a drawing for an attendance prize for members attending the meeting. You may register every time you attend a meeting at the reception table near the door.  Attending more meetings will give you more opportunities to win.  Attendance prizes will vary. Often they will match the subject of the meeting.  You must be present to win.

The meetings are always well attended with people very knowledgeable about the fair. Please feel free to attend and ask questions. Visitors are always welcome.

April 21, 2021
  • Fantastic Fairs: The Fields Visit St. Louis & Chicago

    April 21, 2021 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
    Facebook Live

    Mike Truax will give a presentation for The Eugene Field House Museum about the 1893 Chicago and 1904 St. Louis World's Fairs.  He will present images and facts about both the 1893 Chicago and the 1904 St. Louis World's Fairs.  Eugene lived in Chicago in 1893 and visited that Fair; his sister Julia served as a juror at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in St. Louis in 1904.  They both saw amazing sights at these World's Fairs. This presentation complements the Field family World's Fairs historical items that are currently on display at the Eugene Field House Museum exhibit: 

    Field House Museum exhibit - December 16, 2020– June 20, 2021:  FANTASTICFAIRS: THE FIELDS AT THE WORLD’S FAIRS --

    The history of the World’s Fairs in Chicago and St. Louis is given a personal touch in Fantastic Fairs. With stories of Eugene acting as a frequent guide to all manner of travelling friends at the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago and Julia Field’s position as juror at the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis with the memorabilia to match, visitors are sure to feel the grandeur of the Fairs from the Fields’ perspectives. Featured in the Field House Museum’s entry, this upcoming exhibit will give visitors a peek into the cultural behemoth that was the World’s Fair while following in the Fields’ footsteps as guests of honor. Several items from the Chicago World’s Fair are on graciously on loan courtesy of the Glessner House Museum in Chicago.

    See more details

April 30, 2021
  • Making of "A Fair to Remember" (1988)

    April 30, 2021 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm

    Society Member Bob Gill produced one the first color videos about the 1904 World's Fair in 1988, using videotape clips to make his 30-minute video titled "A Fair to Remember".  His research and video include interviews with Norbury Waymon (artist of the large aerial view of the Fair), Katherine Corbett (MHS curator), and Max Storm (memorabilia collector and founder of the 1904 WFS). They each provide specialized and interesting perspectives of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition.

    Bob Gill graduated from Southern Illinois University and now lives in Alton, Illinois. He has been involved with the media for over 35 years as a teacher, independent video producer, and a multimedia specialist. He has produced numerous video documentaries on a wide variety of subjects, and won several awards. Bob recently retired as the Instructional Media Manager at St. Charles Community College in St. Peters, Missouri, and gives presentations on numerous environmental, historical, technological, and political subjects.

    See more details

May 18, 2021
  • Washington University and the World's Fair (focus on 1900-1905)

    May 18, 2021 @ 7:00 pm - 7:30 pm

    Candace O'Connor's 2003 book about Washington University is titled Beginning a Great Work: Washington University in St. Louis, 1853-2003, chronicles the events and people that shaped WashU in St. Louis during its first 150 years.  For this special presentation, she will focus on WashU's first 60 years, particularly how the downtown university's move from downtown to the new "hilltop campus" was intertwined with the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in 1904.

    Author Candace O'Connor has written 13 books about the history of St. Louis and the Midwest. Most of her books have focused on the landmarks, people, neighborhoods and hospitals of St. Louis. In 2001, she won a regional Emmy for a documentary on a 1939 sharecropper protest in the Missouri Bootheel. 

    See more details